The Story – from "Frog and Toad Are Friends" by Arnold Lobel

One day in summer Frog was not feeling well.

Toad said, “Frog, you are looking quite green.”

“But I always look green” said Frog. “I am a frog.”

“Today you look very green, even for a frog”, said Toad. “Get into my bed and rest.”

Toad made Frog a cup of hot tea. Frog drank the tea then he said “Tell me a story while I am resting.”

“All right,” said Toad. “Let me think of a story to tell you.”

Toad thought and thought. But be could not think of a story to tell Frog.

“I will go out on the front porch and walk up and down,” said Toad. “Perhaps that will help me to think of a story.” Toad walked up and down on the porch for a long time. But he could not think of a story to tell Frog.

Then Toad went in the house and stood on his head.

“Why are you standing on your head?” asked Frog.

“I hope that if I stand on my head, it will help me to think of a story,” said Toad.

Toad stood on his head for a long time. But he could not think of a story to tell Frog.

Then Toad poured a glass of water over his head.

“Why are you pouring water over your head?” asked Frog.

“I hope that if I pour water over my head, it will help me to think of a story,” said Toad.

Toad poured many glasses of water over his head. But he could not think of a story to tell Frog.

Then Toad began to bang his head again the wall.

“Why are you banging your head against the wall?” asked Frog.

“I hope that if I bang my head against the wall hard enough, it will help me think of a story,” said Toad.

“I’m feeling much better now, Toad,” said Frog. “I don’t think I need a story anymore.”

“Then you get out of my bed and let me get into it,” said Toad, “because now I feel terrible.”

Frog said, “Would you like me to tell you a story, Toad?”

“Yes,” said Toad, “if you know one.”

“Once upon a time,” said Frog, “there were two good friends, a frog and a toad. The frog was not feeling well. He asked his friend the toad to tell him a story.

The toad could not think of a story. He walked up and down on the porch, but he could not think of a story. He stood on his head, but he could not think of a story. He poured water over his head, but he could not think of a story. He banged his head against the wall, but he still could not think of a story.

Then the toad did not feel so well, and the frog was feeling better. So the toad went to bed and the frog got up and told him a story.

The End."

"So how was that, Toad?” said Frog.

But Toad did not answer. He had fallen asleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There is a Meadow in My Perfect World

Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds